Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year, New Goals

Many people take this time of year to set up resolutions for the coming months. Some decide on ambiguous goals like losing weight, being more pleasant around coworkers or family, or even to take more time to themselves. The problem with those resolutions is that they leave too much wiggle room and rarely end up sticking for the long term. On the other hand, some people take resolutions more seriously and spend time thinking of more clear, attainable goals and the steps needed to get there.

I originally was part of the first group, in that my resolution was to make myself more marketable. I do not necessarily want a new job just yet, but I would be a fool to not keep my options open in these economic times. I realized quite quickly that there was no possible way I was going to make myself more marketable without a clear plan and more specific set of goals. So here they are, my goals for 2009:
  • Start a blog on work and life as a 20-something. (I don't know just yet where the discussion will be focused, but I do know that it is just as important to start. I will let current events and other interesting readings/discussions dictate where this goes until I can get together a more precise mission statement.)
  • Post 2-3 times per week. (This is the real goal, as it will force me to think of material that is interesting an engaging that will hopefully inspire conversation.)
  • Link said blog postings to a website. (www.patricksullivan.me) (The website will also have my resume and a link to social network sites where I can be found so that I have a central presence on the web and get my personal brand out in the open.)
  • Gain 20+ readers within 90 days. (I want to be a part of the conversation that I see going on with peers in my generation, but can't do that without some help.)
I hope that these concise goals will allow me to start conversations and gain a little recognition in topics that interest me and the other young working professionals of my generation. I feel that it is important for both my personal and professional development to get this blog going and gain a few contacts in the process. So, here is to the New Year, and I will see you soon!

No comments: